Sunday, 8 December 2013
Monday, 30 September 2013
Tuesday, 3 September 2013
I don't mean one of those weird toys with the dodgy squeakers in that you give to a pet dog, I mean a chicken that you stretch over more than one meal. Rubber = stretchy.
I had a bad experience with a cheap chicken breast. This sounds like a real #middleclassnightmare, but I bought cheap chicken and when I was eating it, it was horrible: watery, oddly textured, tasted of nothing, and I kept gipping. Anyways, I decided that I would do an experiment with free range organic chicken, to see if it tastes better.
So I bought a £9 chook and got cooking.
So far the happy, very-well-treated,-tucked-in-bed, given-brandy-and-cigars-then-snuggled-to-death-in-its-sleep chicken (there has got to be a reason for its cost, right?) has made:
* Roast dinner for 3 (me, LC and Wunderkind)
* Chicken and roasted sweetcorn risotto for 2 (me and Wunderkind)
* Chicken pasta bake for 3 (me, Wunderkind, and The Mothership)
* 2 x chicken and salad pitta breads for me
* 1L of stock with which I'll be making soup/stew/risotto depending on my mood. Yes, risotto again. I'm gooooood at risotto.
So that's 10 meals. TEN. And can I tell the difference? YES.
It's going to sound odd when I say it tastes of chicken, because we've become so accustomed to chicken tasting of nothing so things that taste of nothing, taste of chicken BUT it tastes of Actual Chicken.
And I'm converted.
Sunday, 25 August 2013
* Seeing (and taking part in!) The Fringe in Edinburgh
* Going to St Andrews where LC went to university, having a picnic on the beach, and paddling in the North Sea
* Being rowed across Windermere in the blazing sunshine
* Spending inordinate amounts of time with LC
I miss him dreadfully now he's at home and it struck me that I adore him. Not only is he my boyfriend, he's also my best friend. I can tell him anything and he won't judge me or laugh...... too much
AND I AM SO LUCKY
Friday, 9 August 2013
* Cocktails with friends
* Driving range (I hit that ball 73 times out of 75. Not bad for a beginner)
* Thai food with chopsticks
* The Movies (The Worlds End: go see it)
* So much laughing
* Too much work
* No LC
* A breakout of Urticaria
* Cleaning to do
And so life is. Ups and downs. But it's all to do with remembering that the down bit of it can be remedied. Or welcomed.
Tuesday, 30 July 2013
It helped actually spending some time texting LC when I've not really had a decent conversation with him over the weekend.
It does worry me that I'm dependent on him for emotional support and frankly, I'm not sure I should be. Should anyone be dependent on someone for that? I've been dependent on folk before and it's never ended well. Whether that's just because it doesn't, or because of the people involved I'm not sure.
But the emotional corner has been turned and I'm feeling a lot more chipper. I've been all useful and organised and everything.
It's amazing how much of a slave to my emotions I actually am.
Monday, 29 July 2013
So when I asked him by text to say something nice as I'd had a crap day, he replied:
"Can't wait for a lovely Friday night"
We're out with another couple that night (is my company THAT amazing?!)
Let's try again: "Say something nice about ME"
"You should do the skeleton dance! Wiggle wiggle"
What the...............? (Drugs? Does he do drugs in my absence? Why am I not included in this drug taking??)
I stopped and Googled the skeleton dance. I'm not doing that.
I give up. I should have learned never to interrupt him babysitting his nephews and never to assume he'd learn how to compliment me.
I'll do it instead: I'm fit.